Live Science News
Some turtles and their young talk — albeit at low frequencies.
Which is more expensive: fighting fires, or preventing them?
Cycling's small seats have long provoked caution in men — but is that fear misguided?
Mycologists – scientists who study fungi – estimate there are up to five million species of fungi on Earth. Of these, only about 2 percent, or 100,000 species, have been formally described. So where are the other 98 percent of fungi hiding?
And why is it important?
Women with symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may be more likely to have food addiction, or a feeling of dependence on food, a new study suggests.
The American commitment to fighting Ebola matters — it's more than a shot in the arm.
One U.S. government agency is taking the drone craze to a whole new level. NOAA just launched a drone directly into a hurricane.
A new, 54-year study suggests coordinated aggression is innate to chimpanzees, and is not linked to human interference.
Artificial sweeteners that many believe may curb real sugar consumption and weight gain, may actually have an opposite effect and increase blood sugar levels, a new study says.
For an unprecedented third year in a row, Antarctica's sea ice is poised to smash a new winter record, but Arctic summer sea ice hit its sixth lowest minimum.
Chimpanzees may attack each other in coordinated assaults, but not because of human pressures on their habitat, a new study finds. Instead other factors, such as having many males in a highly populated ape community, heighten aggression rates.
Continents move, but what got them going? A new computer model shows it was gravity. Whole continents flattened out under their own weight.
Ongoing archaeological excavations and recovery at the site of an 1857 shipwreck have netted thousands of gold coins and artifacts of a maritime tragedy.
A small study of hog workers in North Carolina found that many carried staph bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus) and some carried drug-resistant strains of the bug, including MRSA.
A little goldfish just underwent a big operation. The pipsqueak, named George, had a life-threatening tumor removed from his head last week at the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
A small goldfish, named George, underwent surgery at the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in Melbourne, Australia, to remove a life-threatening tumor from his head.
There are about 300 shipwrecks in the gulf just west of San Francisco. Scientists have seen few of these sunken hulls, but now the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is embarking on a two-year project to document these lost vessels.
Don't think science is funny? Think again. The 24th annual Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony, an event that honors the hilarious side of scientific research and discovery, is being held this week.
A material that mimics shark skin, covered with tiny ridges and groves, may help reduce the spread of bacteria in hospitals, a new study suggests.